• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How to sand the inside corner of a foot

I'm stuck on sanding ( Plum) a 1/4" long section of an inside corner of a 3" foot, about 1/16" wide.? What's recommended. The rest of the bowl is done but this part.

Thank you

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
It's the tiny inside corner of a foot, right? If you have a square cornered box scraper you could take very light cuts to get a clean surface and if necessary you could fold a piece of 400 or 320 grit sandpaper to a sharp corner to do a touch up. The general "rule" is to not try to sand where you have sharp inside corners. I also use a small half inch skew laid flat on the rest to use as a negative rake scraper. I carefully take feather light cuts to remove wisps of wood and that normally leaves a clean surface.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you need to remount the piece for my recommendations. You can make a jam chuck if you don't have a vacuum chuck to hold the piece. It helps if you have a small live center.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have several odd shaped sanding or grinding cutters for my Dremel. I will try those but they often won't reach down into the very juncture of the corner. I often just glue sand paper to a stick of the right shape to allow me to reach in those areas. I use 3M spray adhesive.

John, Thank you for your suggestion. It is a softwood so I need to be careful with the shape of the disk. I'm attempting the spray adhesion with a custom cutout. Thank you

Back