• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grizzly parts on Jet lathe

Wondering if anyone has had any experience using Grizzly parts on a Jet lathe. Grizzly's 10x18 lathe looks nearly identical to the Jet 1014 and/or 1015. Parts from Grizzly are significantly less expensive and based on the schematics, the tailstock, tool rest and all bolts/handles/etc. look interchangeable.

Thanks for any replies with experience.

-Kris

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Maybe but maybe not. I have a Grizzly chuck that looks exactly like the Vicmarc's that I own. The Helical gear inside the chuck work out. Just for interest I tried swaping the ones from my Vicmarc and they would not fit. The jaws and inserts are interchangeable but the insides are different. So yes it could work but there is a good possibility that they might be different. What part do you want to change. If it's bearings you can buy aftermarket bearings for very reasonable prices.

I need the full tailstock and full tool rest/banjo assembly.

A bit of backstory… I picked up two Jet 1014 lathes (one 1014, one 1014vs) from a gentleman that was retiring from turning. The 1014 was a full machine with all parts. The 1014vs, on the other hand, was/is missing the entire tailstock and tool rest/banjo assemblies.

I have called several local Jet repair centers, scoured the online part suppliers and posted Wanted to Buy (WTB) threads on a few woodworking sites.

Parting out the needed pieces through local repair centers or online part suppliers would be about $250 for Jet parts.

Grizzly parts would be around $125.

Since I need the entire tailstock assembly, including the quill, I’m hoping that the parts are reasonably interchangeable.

Both lathes have been cleaned, rust removed, lubricated, given a new coat of color matched Jet ivory paint, and are running like tops.

I would love to find the needed parts, at a reasonable price, so that I could get the lathe restored and give to my father as a gift.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
need the full tailstock and full tool rest/banjo assembly.

Like the old story - the parts to make a $20,000 car cost $100,000 without the labor,

A tailstock and banjo often cost too much to put on a used machine unless it has some intrinsic value beyond what you can buy a similar one for.

I have seen jet 1014s for sale for $100-$175 There a lot of them out there.

This may be a tough decision.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
See if you can find someone online that has a Griz. All you would have to do is measure the gap in the bed, the thickness of the ways and possibly the center heights to make sure those are the same. I think that is doable. If you have a Harbour Freight near you they have a lathe that is similar also. You might be able to go and measure those. don't know how you buy parts from HF but I suppose it's doable.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The problem with Harbor Freight is that they aren't interested in parts and support. That's fine when things are cheap enough to be used and disposed of without too much angst.

I checked the Jet support website and saw that you can get all of the pieces that makes up the tailstock (except for the all-important lead screw which is no longer available), but as Al indicated, the cost of repair parts make it hard to justify. The cost that Jet listed for the tailstock was about $121 plus about $100 for all of the other parts that make up the complete tailstock assembly. When I bought my Jet mini many years ago I think that I paid less than $250 for the whole thing.

Harbor Freight will sell the commonly replaced repair parts for the lathes, they have their
parts break down's on the web that show individual part numbers, you can call their customer
support number and they will give you pricing for each part if it is available.

Your other option may be to part out the remaining pieces of the partial lathe that you have, many
people sell individual parts for lathes on Ebay. Or keep looking each week for a possible deal on
another lathe or parts on CraigsList and Ebay.

Grizzly has two 10x18 lathes: H8259 with 10" swing over the bed, and T25926 with 9.75" swing. You'll need to get the one that matches yours.

You might need to do some minor surgery on the nuts below the bed for compatibility, but a possible killer would be the width between rails for the tailstock; too tight might submit to minor surgery, but too loose will never work right.

Selling the parts is probably your best option. Give your Dad a bandsaw.

Thanks all for the advice. I decided that I would post the incomplete lathe on CraigsList and see if there was any interest. Found a buyer that needed the headstock and bed after his lathe was dropped during a move. I'm happy that the parts will get some use, he's happy that he didn't have to drop $300 plus on parts from Jet.

Back