• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Fungus?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
They appear to be borer larvae to me. Are there little holes in the wood? If you can get a close up shot of one it would help. I always consider borers to be collaborators whenever they "help" me. :)

As an aside, if nothing else gets you to wear a face shield while turning, bug juice is very effective in that regard.:D

They appear to be borer larvae to me. Are there little holes in the wood? If you can get a close up shot of one it would help. I always consider borers to be collaborators whenever they "help" me. :)

As an aside, if nothing else gets you to wear a face shield while turning, bug juice is very effective in that regard.:D
There are holes! Hmmm should Guess I should treat the wood with something?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 14

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Trying to treat them with any kind of chemicals is a waste of time and expense not to mention that it would create problems turning and using the wood. Rough turning the wood generally takes care of the borers in the wood.

The main concern would be the potential spreading of harmful pests. There are restrictions on transporting certain species of wood across county or state lines because of the potential spreading of pests that cause the trees to die. If the wood wasn't obtained locally it would be a good idea to check with your agricultural extension service about potential problems.

Trying to treat them with any kind of chemicals is a waste of time and expense not to mention that it would create problems turning and using the wood. Rough turning the wood generally takes care of the borers in the wood.

The main concern would be the potential spreading of harmful pests. There are restrictions on transporting certain species of wood across county or state lines because of the potential spreading of pests that cause the trees to die. If the wood wasn't obtained locally it would be a good idea to check with your agricultural extension service about potential problems.
Oh ok great. It is definitely a local wood so I'll just keep on turning:)

Back