• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Exotic wood ID

I obtained an unlabeled exotic wood blank from a club member's estate. It apparently sat in his garage for over 30 years. When I turned it, the wood did not produce any shavings, just sawdust. The wood was not particularly hard but was very heavy, heavier than cocobolo. It is tight grained, and when freshly cut the color was primarily orange, relatively close to cherry, with a hint of green tint in places. But I put it out in the sun for a couple hours, and it turned a dark brown, at least as dark as walnut. I didn't get a chance to take photos before it turned brown.

Any suggestions to what I have?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I bought a piece of "rosewood" that was not identified any further than that. The block was black, but the brownish red color was revealed once cut. I have suspicions the wax preservative coating had something to do with it turning black.....but ???.

This is the finished bowl. Some of the blackish color is from the staining at the surface of the block.

Could it be this is what you have?

-----odie-----
1450 rosewood (3).JPG

Thanks for venturing some guesses. I know a photo would help but the wood is too dark to see much grain pattern. It is definitely not Osage Orange, which is more ring-porous and very yellow when freshly cut. It is possibly a rosewood, but I never had any wood that changed color so rapidly. I have put cherry, cocobolo and osage orange in sunlight but they darkened only slightly after many days of exposure. This piece looks almost like ebony after 2 hours.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Paduk?
Not sure how fast it would change color.
It is one of those woods that to me looks great through the color changes.

Starts out on the orange side of red, becomes a black cherry sort of red then almost black
I used it a lot on Christmas ornamame finials.
Always looked good to me when paired with light colored globe.

Back