• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Drive belt need for a Delta 46-745 (16") EVS lathe

I have one of these lathes and I need to get a replacement drive belt. Most parts sites say it's not available anymore. Does anyone out there know where I could get one. OEM would be best but I would assume a poly v belt dealer might also be able to supply one.

Thanks

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
They are commonly available. The number should be on the back of the belt and should look something like: 280J6, where 6 is the number of ribs, J is the rib cross section size (most small machines use J-section belts), and 280 means the belt is 28.0 inches long. If the number has worn off, it's easy to figure out the size ... just count the number of ribs and measure the length. The belts come in half inch increments so if the length measured 28¼ inches, it probably means that the belt has stretched a bit over its life and 28" would be the right length. You should measure the back of the belt and not the rib side. The best place to get a belt is Belts For Anything in Lafayette, Louisiana.

Thanks Bill, however, the belt does not have those types of numbers on it. It is a Delta belt and thus has the Delta number of 434-10-133-0003. I did however, in anticipation, do some measuring and have found that the belt is 62.8 CM (24.72") long, 3/4" wide, 0.161" thick, has 8 ribs and the ribs are about 0.1" apart. I will definitely try the "Belts for Anything" on Monday.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks Bill, however, the belt does not have those types of numbers on it. It is a Delta belt and thus has the Delta number of 434-10-133-0003. I did however, in anticipation, do some measuring and have found that the belt is 62.8 CM (24.72") long, 3/4" wide, 0.161" thick, has 8 ribs and the ribs are about 0.1" apart. I will definitely try the "Belts for Anything" on Monday.

Yes, there are non-standard part numbers and Delta obviously put their own part number on the belt. However, figuring out the standard number is a piece of cake. You can Google J-section belts or poly-V belts and you can find the dimensions for J, K, L, and M cross section belts. My guess is that your belt was 24.5 inches when new, but you probably could go with a 25 inch belt. Just see how much adjustment range your lathe has +/- the current belt length.

Take the old belt and go to any auto parts store. My old HF lathe came with a replacement belt from NAPA. Remember, the old belt will have stretched some and the length of the new belt should take this into consideration. I'm sure that your lathe also has adjustment for the belt.

Changing pulleys seems like more work than picking up the phone:D. I'm sure it was from someone on this forum that I got the www.BeltPalace.com site.
A quick measure and a phone call...This was in Nov of 15, all I needed was the 330j5 for a VL 100 rebuild, but I couldn't help throwing in the 240j3
for my little jet 1014, just in case...haven't needed it which is good because I put it in a "safe place" and haven't seen it since.

Name Code Qty Each Options
------------------------------------------------------------
330J5 Poly-V Belt 330j5 1 5.78

240J3 Poly-V Belt 240j3 1 4.78

Subtotal 10.56
Shipping 5.12
Tax 0.00
Total 15.68

Clifton, the best way to find it is to buy another one. Then the missing belt will turn up!
Forgetfulness is a sign of old age but I can't remember who said it.

Well I'll be darned...I have 3 belts, a set of keys for a truck I don't own anymore, a spare cell phone charger, some spectacles, my favorite old timer pen knife
and, oh never mind, hmm, and that's only one of my safe places...Now to go searching for the "secret places"...

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
It wouldn't take much to use pulleys to take a standard belt, would it?

Except for a lot of money, a lot more noise, loss of power, and in some cases such as a mini lathe, won't fit in the available space. As Clifton said, picking up the phone (or using the computer) is easier.

I always keep looking after I find something so I can say, "it was in the second-to-last place I looked". :)

:D

Tractor Supply looks like they have a bet that would work. It's $5.00. Take the belt off and walk into any auto parts or power equipment place and they will be able to match up a belt. Thats a common belt, probably made by Gates or Good Year.

Back