• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Digital readout reads 0

My 1642 EVS readout stays at 0. Also sometimes the lathe doesn't run until I push and pull the on/off knob in and out a few times. Otherwise it works fine. I'm not sure what to replace. Any ideas?
I attached a parts schematic and parts list, and a photo of the readout and controls.
Thanks,
Rob

Attachments

• Jet 1642 EVS.jpg
    Jet 1642 EVS.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 1642-parts diagram.jpg
    1642-parts diagram.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 27
  • 1642 Parts list-1.jpg
    1642 Parts list-1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 1642 parts list-2.jpg
    1642 parts list-2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 19
My 1642 EVS readout stays at 0. Also sometimes the lathe doesn't run until I push and pull the on/off knob in and out a few times. Otherwise it works fine. I'm not sure what to replace. Any ideas?
I attached a parts schematic and parts list, and a photo of the readout and controls.
Thanks,
Rob
Attached is a pdf which is easier to view.

Attachments

• Scan190.PDF
    142.2 KB · Views: 19

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The not starting sounds like it might be sawdust in the contacts of the switch. You might try cleaning the contacts on the switch before replacing it.

The switches used on many mid price range lathes including the Jet are low cost and not environmentally sealed. It's too bad that some lathe manufacturers cut corners where they shouldn't.

I agree with James, the switch is probably full of wood dust. I have disassembled several of these switches and it's a bit risky taking them apart because tiny springs and other parts may go flying across the shop. Putting it back together can often be a greater challenge than taking it apart, but I'm always up for a challenge. The bad news is that it will fill up with dust again especially if it is a rocker type switch.

Another problem with these switches is that they are often not rated for inductive loads (motors) so the contacts may be burned to the point that they can't be repaired with any expectation of lasting very long. This isn't as much of a problem with lathes that have VFD's between the switch and the motor, but I would still prefer a switch rated for an inductive load.

If you find it necessary to replace the switch I would opt for an environmentally sealed heavy duty switch that is properly rated. This might mean that the form factor will be different, but that's just a minor bump in the road if you don't mind solving problems.

When you find the correct switch for your lathe order (2) of them so you have a spare
and the part number for your next rodeo. The on/off gets used a lot on most lathes so
this is a common item that can fail.

You need to rotate the images so that they are right-side up.

I would check the positioning of the pickup for the speed sensor. I think that I have read that this is a common problem.
Bill,
Where would i find the speed sensor pick up? is it wired to the digital readout? Do Ii need to remove the digital readout?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If you look at the exploded parts diagram, you will see some wires that come from the display unit to a sensor that is close to the spindle. Here is some information that I found on the web that applies to the Powermatic 3520B, but the Jet may be similar enough to solve the problem: Unscrew the panel with the LED display to gain access to the sensor.. You will see a square piece of metal on the spindle and a sensor that picks up signal every time one of the corners of the square passes by. The square is held in place by a setscrew which sometimes loosens which allows the square to slide out of alignment with the sensor. Usually if you slide it back and tighten the screw all will be fine. Hopefully, the solution is that simple.

Back