• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

CNC wood machines

Does anyone here have much experience with the newest CNC machines used for milling
wood, composites, plastics and soft metals? I see that Powermatic has entered into the market
not sure if I am willing to drop that kind of money yet, but would like to get into a hobby grade or
smaller production type unit. I noticed that some of the systems are using routers that also hold
lasers and 3D printer heads, tempting to go in that direction to allow for the potential need. Some
of these systems also expand into a 4th axis and 5th axis which is similar to a lathe spindle rotating
the billet as the cnc cuts the item.

Mike,

I've looked closely at several of the hobby CNC routers, control-wise they're poor excuses for CNC's (lack pf capability instruction-wise)..

If you could buy one of the base machines without a controller and add a Centroid "Acorn" (soon to be released) control you'd be far ahead in capability. And, instead of the hand router add one of the water cooled, quiet spindles from China.

If you have specific questions ask away, I've owned production CNC machines in my business for thirty years.

BTW, the PM site is excellent for information on CNC'ing, but is purposely very, very unfriendly for discussion of hobby grade CNC's. It's supported by advertising dollars from big names in industrial CNC so the owner does not allow hobby equipment discussions.

In my opinion, software is a big factor. Investigate the software first, and sort out the necessary hardware later.

For prosumer-grade, V-carve is a good package for CNC routers; I have a colleague who is a physicist/EE by day, and an aspiring woodworker on weekends. He has a Laguna CNC router with V-carve pro, and has gotten pretty good with it. He's begun to do two-piece hollow forms with his machine.

Back in the day, I had a lab with a Fadal 4-axis, Solidworks, Mastercam, and Gibbscam--but we were not interested in wood as a material--and the budget is probably out of reach unless you're doing full time manufacturing.

Back