• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chainsaw choices

hello all,

I'm looking to buy my first chainsaw. I was originally planning on getting Husqvarna 435, but I see many reviews about having difficulty turning it on both on Amazon and their own website. Is this a good saw, or any better one around that price range?

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
Hi Fadi, I always buy new saws from my dealer, because they'll stand behind any issues and be able to fix anything quickly...so that's my first recommendation. My dealer won't let a saw go out without gassing it up and making sure the new owner can start it easily. I'm a Stihl owner, but that's just because Huskys don't have the same service in my small town.

You might look at getting a saw with a compression relief valve. That's the irony...the slightly bigger saws have the valve and having a compression relief might make it easier to start. On the other hand, I bet that size saw is easy enough to start. Good luck!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I suggest you buy a saw from a dealer.
With a Stihl or husky you probably won't have a problem.

When the dealer delivers a saw it has gas, bar oil, speed screws adjusted, and we go outside an run it.

I'm a stihl fan because that's what my dealer sold.

Like Zach, I bought my Stihl from a dealer for the same reasons. I'm not a heavy user so I use the
Tru-fuel (works out to about $19 a gallon) in mine as it doesn't contain ethanol and easier to start.

I like my Husqvarna, but have to be careful to never shut the thing off. It will not restart when hot. Will. Not.

Have a Stihl MS 270 with a 20" bar and it has compression release. Burps after three or four pulls, move the choke up and it starts. Buy Stihl oil,as it has fuel stabilzer in it and I use Hi Test 91 gas which in Ontario at least I believe has no ethanol. Only mix up 4 liters at a time. I use that up in about four to six months. We had a Stihl Tech Rep for a guild presentation about five years ago and he recommended that. My first Stihl suffered from cylinder scoring because I did not do the above. (In My estimation).

Thanks guys, there is a Stihl dealer near me, I will buy from there. I don't need professional one, I'm thinking of MS 251 Woodboss or CB-E

I have a Stihl also, 18" bar and really like. I've had it for 5 years and never had any problems with it at all.

I bought a Stihl MS250 last year after my 028 gave up the ghost after 30 plus years. Read the manual it says use 89 octane and up to 10% alcohol is ok . Newer machines have been upgraded to use ethanol fuels. The newer Stihl takes two pulls to start , the old one only ONE pull. Dealer or not know what you are buying. Do not buy a large saw unless you will be using it a lot. With my 18 inch bar I can cut thru a 25 inch log just have to plan the cut.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
All great advice. An additional small thing to remember is that new saws come with safety chains with bumper links. These are great for reducing kickback potential, but to my knowledge (I don't use them) don't rip very well—and ripping is a huge part of cross grain bowl blank prep.

EDIT: I tried my Sithl 250 MSE (electric) with the safety chain on a 20" bar and it ripped fairly well. A normal chain works better, but safety chain is probably a better choice for those newer to chainsaws—and if you don't have to buy an extra chain, that's saved money in your pocket.

Last edited:

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have a few of both, Sthil and Huskies... They are both great. Buy it from a professional dealer. Buy the biggest that you can afford. My latest is the the 372XP, a 73cc beast. Sometimes is not big enough when you are standing by a Koa twice as tall as you are... Good luck.

While I understand more power and professional saw is better, it is too much for what I use it for. Turning is just a weekend or even a monthly hobby for me. I will use it probably 2 or 3 times like most of the other stuff I buy.

I sometimes see trees cut down and I want to cut some pieces from them that would fit in the back of my car to turn later. These would last me for months or more.

That is why I was looking for something good, 16" to 18" that would get the job done and not die on me.

I have a Huskey and a Sthil. Both are great. Do run premium grade gas in them, and if possible buy 'clear' gas for them. I tried some of the Huskey pre mix in the cans, good for about 2 tank fulls. Expensive, but the saws and weed whacker both really like it, much better than regular from the gas station. The stuff in a can is better if you don't use it a lot, where mixing a full gallon and keeping it for a year or so the gas can go bad.

My Huskey always takes 3 to 5 pulls to start. No compression valve on it. The Sthil gives me problems because of a different starting method. Never had problems with the Huskey getting hot and not starting, and I have run it for hours some times...

robo hippy

[...] I sometimes see trees cut down and I want to cut some pieces from them that would fit in the back of my car to turn later. These would last me for months or more.[...]

Believe it or not, I am considering one of the new 40V battery chain saws for just this purpose. My youngest son has had a good experience with one he bought -- and the reviews are generally OK also. Of course, not for high-volume use, but having a saw in the back of the jeep, without gas sloshing around in it, is tempting... Also, the battery saw would enable stealth mode and not frighten bystanders! :>)

Ely

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
My latest is the the 372XP, a 73cc beast. Sometimes is not big enough when you are standing by a Koa twice as tall as you are... Good luck.

Pah...problems you have.....
(I'm jealous)

Advise I got off an arborist forum. Use the smallest saw that will do the job - easier on your body.
Not all dealers are the same. I found that in urban areas, they are not that great. Much better in the countryside - harder to rip off farmers.
If there are servicing issues, ask the local farmers who they use. Someone always has a buddy who fixes small engines.

I have a bunch of Stihl saws and love 'em. Especially the old electric ones

Thanks all for the advice especially about buying from a dealer. I found Stihl dealer 20 minutes from my house, I picked up 18" MS 251 C-BE. They are building a house near me and they cut down a tree, hopefully they won't mind me chopping it up.

I have a Poulan which was free. My friend said it wouldn't start and asked if I wanted it. Well.......the plastic fuel line and primer line had turned brown and cracked. No gas to the carburetor. Works for me. Saw the same model at Lowe's. Best to go with a dealer who can show you how to operate it and give service when needed.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
Thanks all for the advice especially about buying from a dealer. I found Stihl dealer 20 minutes from my house, I picked up 18" MS 251 C-BE. They are building a house near me and they cut down a tree, hopefully they won't mind me chopping it up.

Sounds like a perfect saw and should treat you well!

I wanted to check on my comment about safety chains with bumperlinks. I put the original chain that came with my Stihl 250 MSE (that's the electric version) with a 20" bar and I was able to rip just fine. It doesn't rip quite as well as a regular chain, but plenty good enough.

Have fun!

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have a Huskey and a Sthil. Both are great. Do run premium grade gas in them, and if possible buy 'clear' gas for them. I tried some of the Huskey pre mix in the cans, good for about 2 tank fulls. Expensive, but the saws and weed whacker both really like it, much better than regular from the gas station. The stuff in a can is better if you don't use it a lot, where mixing a full gallon and keeping it for a year or so the gas can go bad.

My Huskey always takes 3 to 5 pulls to start. No compression valve on it. The Sthil gives me problems because of a different starting method. Never had problems with the Huskey getting hot and not starting, and I have run it for hours some times...

robo hippy
My Huskie is even easier to start if its hot...

I use Stihls, both gas and electric. I buy the premixed fuel from my local Stihl dealer or the big box store. I sharpen my own chains with an electric sharpener. As your chain teeth are worn from sharpening, the raker teeth should be filed down. On some of my older chains, I grind the cutter teeth straight across. This helps when ripping down the length of a log. One last thing, you need to sharpen often.
Joe

I like my Husqvarna, but have to be careful to never shut the thing off. It will not restart when hot. Will. Not.

X2 on that issue. That's why I sold my Huskies.

Addendum:
Unless I am going to be doing a lot of saw work, I mix my 2 cycle fuel 1/2 gallon at a time and then dump what's left after a month into my car's gas tank-- that includes any fuel that has been sitting in the machines for the month. Fresh two-cycle fuel avoids a lot of headaches later on with hard starting and gummed carbs.

Last edited:
Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058

As others have mentioned, and I thought bears repeating with my own experience, I only use premium gas (for mower, saws, and trimmer). I’ve talked with a couple small engine mechanics who swear the premium leaves less buildup inside the engine - that they can tell what gas was used. The cost difference is small when you are only talking about a few gallons a year. I also add Sta-bil stabilizer into every fill-up — I never know how long it will take me to use up the gas in the can, so a little stabilizer isn’t a big deal. And it also stabilizes the fuel in the saw’s innards to keep it from degrading.

I suppose my methods are working; my 18 year old Makita saw has never needed any engine work and still starts after a few pulls.

I picked up a can of 50:1 pre-mix fuel to get started right away, and may order tru-fuel when I run out. I need to find wood first :) I used it on a small tree in my subdivision and got nice 4 pieces of logs. After I come back from Waco I'll start looking for big logs. I have bo idea why I waited so long to get one.

My son is a believer in Sta-bil. I use it when I'm putting the mowers up for the winter.
Fadi, call some of the tree service businesses. They will have lot of wood and likely have some nice wood like maple, cherry, or walnut. I got some Bradford pear and cherry this way. It's a shame that a lot of that wood will end up in a fireplace.

Back