1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice

Carbide tips for one way easy core knife sets

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Breck Whitworth, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Breck Whitworth

Breck Whitworth Sharp Dressed Woodturner

Home Page:
    I have been coring a lot lately with my new one way coring system, love the system. What I would like to know is from those of you who have actually bought and used the carbide tips. Do the carbide tips make coring easier and cut down on the need to sharpen each time on a large bowl? In other words are they worth the investment) I have cored about 15 large heavy blanks over the last week or so and have more to go. Sold out recently. I am having to get my inventory back up again. (wonderful problem to have, my first time experiencing it)

Zach LaPerriere and Bill Boehme like this.
  2. robo hippy

robo hippy Barely Scraping By

Not sure if I told you this story before or not, but I had Oneway send me a tip that had been hardened, but didn't have that spear point ground into it. This left the cutting edge out in front of the blade about 1/4 inch so you didn't have to take it off to sharpen it. A light touch on the grinder or a coarse/220 hone does the trick. I had to grind down/taper the sides a bit to make sure it would not bind in the kerf. It cut way better than their standard tips. The problem with their tips is that you sharpen by honing or grinding the top surface. All coring tools are scrapers, and in most situations, scrapers cut better with a burr, and you don't get a burr from honing the top. I don't know if they would send you one of those tips or not. They commented last year in KC at the Symposium that the spear point keeps it from drifting in the cut, which is common with the McNaughton. I did not notice any drifting at all with it. In experimenting a lot with different tip profiles on the McNaughton, the tip shape made no difference in drifting. The drifting is caused by the tips not being bent properly because they go straight for the last inch or so, and the blade will track more on the straight point and not on the arc of the rest of the blade. Other than that, I have no experience with the carbide tip. Personally, I would have gone with Stellite, a cast material that is actually made in Canada, and is very similar to tantung that I use on my Big Ugly tools. Almost as hard as carbide for edge durability, but sharpens on standard grinding wheels...

robo hippy

3. Tom Albrecht

Tom Albrecht

Breck, I have subscribed to this thread since it first showed up and hoped that you'd get an answer. But seeing as it's going slow-- I'd like to recommend that you buy a carbide cutter and let us know. I am not being snotty, just practical. Really, who here has as much recent experience with cutting a bunch of blanks with the steel cutter? You are the best person to judge it.

James Seyfried likes this.
  4. Dave Delo

Dave Delo

I too was hoping to hear some more replies on the subject. Recently switched over to the easy core and bought 1 of the carbide bits. Have only used it once time on some soft wet sycamore and could not tell the different between the new carbide and a new HSS cutter. Both produced more of a mush than a chip or any type of ribbon. If it will ever stop snowing and not being 10 degrees around here, I'll be able to get to the wood pile for some cherry and maple logs that I want to core.

5. robo hippy

I can't ever remember getting shavings with the Oneway, except when I used the custom tip. The point is made to break or cut the fiber, then the sides cut it away, or at least that is how it was explained to me. Pretty much always with wet wood when using the McNaughton or Woodcut.

robo hippy

6. Marshall Sadler

Marshall Sadler

7. Paul M. Kaplowitz

Paul M. Kaplowitz

I have used the Oneway coring system for a lot of years and like it much better than the others. I've tried them all. The carbide tio at $ 50. is not of much interest. I have tried to sharpen the carbide bits I buy for my East Tool and never got the got them to cut as well as a new cutter. I pay $ 2.70 for new cutters so it's not worth it to sharpen them. The steel coring bits take me about 1 minute to sharpen as good as a new one and cost $ 33. Hey Robbo, I get nice corrugated shavings.

Attached Files:

8. Dave Delo

Dave Delo

coring1.jpg Had time yesterday to try the carbide bit on a cherry blank. Blank was wet but not soaking wet. Think I cut the log about 9 months ago. Mostly ribbons down through the end grain but mostly wet damp mush thru the transition to the bottom.

Gerald Lawrence likes this.
  9. Dave F.

Dave F.

Interesting video, sounds like the carbide would require less frequent sharpening?

10. robo hippy

I will admit that it has been quite a while since I used the Oneway, but I don't remember ever getting shavings like that... May have to try it again some time and see...

robo hippy

11. Owen Lowe

Owen Lowe

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
    Robo,
    Dave’s shavings are representative of my experiences with the regular, non-carbide cutters.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018 at 11:16 AM
  12. Breck Whitworth

Home Page:
    Tom you have a point, I have one large pecan block left I might just buy one carbide tip and try it on this one and it will easy to compare to all the others I have cored.

13. Breck Whitworth

Home Page:
    Robo I wish the tips were straight like you mentioned because I am used to the wood cut blades that have that type of cutting tip and I used a diamond board to touch up the tips before each coring. The main difference as you know is the depth this oneway coring knives can create. Even though the oneway pointed tips require grinding every time on say knife set 3 it is still worth the time to get a 14" x 5" money bowl as a core. or a 13" x 6" core. I have ordered one carbide tip and as I mentioned in my last post I have one large partially dried pecan slab left. I will use the carbide tip on it and let everyone know if there is a marked improvement or not.
    I was coring two types of wood that was some what wet but not water slinging wet like I prefer. One type was the heaviest oak I have ever cored (water oak) partially dried and from everyone I cored the shavings were like wet dust. I had to clean or dump every few seconds say 30 in order to core this hard wood. The pecan had a little more moisture but not much. I got shavings and not dust on the face grain but dust on the end gain. woodturners catalog takes quite a while to ship anything to my area but I will post again when I have cored with it. Thanks for all the responses! For the record most of these blanks came from 18" x 7" primary money bowls

Attached Files:

14. George Guadiane

George Guadiane

Home Page:
    I ordered two of them on Monday, they arrived late today... I went to a meeting this evening and I have a doctor's appointment mid day tomorrow, so I'll have a report some time Friday.