• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Burl bark removal

Anyone have a good methodology for a clean removal of burl bark? I know there are methods of soaking, boiling or pressure washing, but I do not know any of the specifics for doing so. I have a number of pieces both dry and green that I want to keep the burl surface, but not the bark.

I’ve used a pressure washer to remove burl bark with mixed success. Depends on how long the pice was cut and how it was handled. Madrone burl generally is the toughest to deal with. On BL Maple burl, if its been sitting for a while it generally responds well to pressure washing. Nothing seems to get it all - I find myself sitting with a small chisel and a couple of awls and carefully picking it off - usually from the edge of NE bowls.

A sand blaster or bead blaster is another method to remove the left over pieces of bark that
are hard to remove. There are several types of media that can be used that is less aggressive
then the sand media.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I find a rotary burr in my flex shaft to be about the fastest with a chip carving knife right behind. Usually a combination of both.

Leo....those are roughouts...did the steam shorten the time before the wood equalized???????

Back