• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Boric Acid to Treat for Bugs??

I was recently given some very nice cherry logs that unfortunately turned out to have powder post beetles in them. I would like to treat the cut up blanks to kill the little buggers, rather than let them chew up/ruin the wood and, much worse, be invited into my shop. A while ago, a termite inspector suggested spraying with bifenthrin, but that's nasty stuff and I wouldn't want to turn such treated wood into small shavings and sawdust all over myself.

Boric acid was an alternative suggested by the local ag extension officer. Seems much more promising, either as disodium octaborate tetrahydrate in Bora-Care (fairly expensive at $70 to $120 for a gallon jug) or boric acid powder ($15 for a 5# bag).

Does anyone have experience with either of these products? One issue is effectiveness; the more important one is health safety. Any other ideas? I'll adopt whatever program for all incoming raw wood. Many thanks.

heavy duty trash bag hooked up to car exhaust

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've heard that many times but have yet to try it. Putting the suspect wood in a plastic bag with moth balls works. I good friend tried it and had great success.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
I use borate rods in posts that go straight into the ground, and they clearly kill bugs, because I find dead bugs near where the rods are inserted. All the info suggests that you shouldn't touch borate rods with bare hands, so while borates are fairly green, I can't imagine the wood could be considered food grade after use.
Carbon dioxide seems like a great idea, or possibly freezing long term. I wonder about soaking/ponding in salty water for a while.

Powder post beetles are active only about two or three weeks per year. That leaves a long dormancy to treat the wood. Microwave useable pieces, treat with boric acid, or heat them up to the point that the eggs are killed.

If you can arrange a sort of kiln, powder post beetles are very suceptible to heat. 120 degrees f for over 30 minutes does them in. A solar kiln, ought to reach that temperature..

Back