• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Airstream Filters

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I'm thinking ahead and I was looking into the Airstream filter, the HE Filter AS 140. It's $35 for one. I haven't done the airflow test, I will do it tomorrow to see if I need to change it, I clean often the pre filter. I noticed today my air flow is not as strong as it was ... Is there a way to clean the main filter? The manual says no because you might die, lol, its just sawdust and not nuclear waste... Where do you guys buy the filters? How often do you change them, I understand it depends how often you turn and shop conditions... I turn 7 days a week,, have cut my hours a little... I did try to search the forum, sorry if this was answered before. Aloha

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Definitely do NOT try to clean the HEPA filter. It is a delicate material and trying to clean it by using compressed air or beating it to shake out the dust will ruin the fragile membrane. I discussed this at length with the owner of Airware America several years ago. He said that some Airstream owners try to save money by cleaning the filters, but by doing so they are damaging the membrane and are no longer getting clean air that is free of fine dust particles.

I have found that the filters last a very long time. Of course you turn a lot more than I do so you will just need to determine how long the last for what you do. I have found that the filters last well over a year for me, but I turn outdoors and less than 10% of what you turn. The only time that I really loaded up the filter was when doing some remodeling and using an air impact chisel to chisel up mortar in a shower ... what a nasty job that was.

I'm with Bill on this one. The filter is why you bought it in the first place. I share your pain as I just bought a couple filters, too. When it seems like the airflow is decreased or the visor is fogging in use, it's time to change the filter. If you shop around online, you can find them around $30. If you buy more than one at a time, you can save on shipping, and with your volume of turning, you'll be replacing regularly.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I'm with Bill on this one. The filter is why you bought it in the first place. I share your pain as I just bought a couple filters, too. When it seems like the airflow is decreased or the visor is fogging in use, it's time to change the filter. If you shop around online, you can find them around $30. If you buy more than one at a time, you can save on shipping, and with your volume of turning, you'll be replacing regularly.
You are right, I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a few filters, It will defeat the purpose of the Airstream not to have it running efficiently.... Aloha

Back