• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

7/8 x 9 tpi threaded spindle

Ok it is not a lathe, but I think it could be used to turn trays and shallow bowls. . I was given a contraption that loosely resembles a pedestal grinder. the base is 30 inches in diameter and about 8 inches high. It could be filled with sand or stone.. A large electric motor sits on top the base. Power to the horizontal arbor above is by two v-belts connecting the double pulley on the motor to the double pulley in the middle of the arbor.. on the right side is a two inch wide, 12 inch diameter grind stone about 120 grit. The left side of the arbor just has a threaded stub. The arbor is supported by two hefty iron supports with old fashioned cup oilers. Without the base filled by anything, the unit weighs about 250 pounds. Everything is made of heavy steel plate (1/4 inch minimum) The spindle is about 42 inches from the floor. I have tried calculating the rpms, and I am coming up with about 170 to 190.

Is there a spindle adapter for a 7/8 x 9 NC thread?. (I checked it with a thread gauge) or will I have to 1) make a face plate or 2) have one custom made.

I have a piece of 12 inch round aluminum 1/2 inch plate. I could fit a threaded hub to that to make a face plate.

Mostly just thinking out loud about a way to turn a large flat piece of walnut, and a 16 inch diameter bowl blank.. I could mount a router sideways to cut the bowl and turn the thing slowly by hand as well.

"Fastenal" carries 7/8 x 9 NC Nuts in both right and left hand. Weld one (or have it welded) to a round piece of steel and you have a faceplate.

Back