• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

hollow form

1. Lignum Vitae

Lignum Vitae

4.25”d x 3.5”h My 2nd and last chunk of LV from the Panama Canal Railroad. Glad this one made it off the lathe :)
  2. Madrone Burl

Madrone Burl

6”d x 4”h
  3. Curly Koa

Curly Koa

5.5”d x 3.5”h .
  4. Big Leaf Maple

Big Leaf Maple

Big Leaf Maple with a bit of figure, a bit of spalt, and a bit of added texture. Approx 6”d x 4”h
  5. Spalted maple hollow form

Spalted maple hollow form

3.5” x 3.5”; finished with shellac, buffed with brown tripoli and white diamond. When I milled this maple last summer, I saw glimpses of the spalting, but I wasn’t expecting this much color variation. The prominent grays in this piece give it a California buckeye feel, IMO. Was worried it...
  6. Masur birch hollow form

Masur birch hollow form

3” x 3” Kept things simple with this form; with masur, the grain does all the talking 🤩. Got the walls down to about 1/8" and the weight under two ounces.
  7. Oak Burl trio

Oak Burl trio

inherited this unwieldly oak burl from fellow turner/friend about 4 years ago. continually contemplated where/how to start with it. Inspired by another club member who had a similar piece I finally dove it. I hate roughing out, but everyone of the felt like roughing from start to finish but...
  8. Big leaf maple hollow form #2

Big leaf maple hollow form #2

3.5” x 3.5”, finished with shellac and microfine Yorkshire grit, buffed with a flannel wheel Came into a chunk of big leaf maple burl a couple of months back and decided to use it for a series of small hollow forms. I’d recently started using a set of Hollow Pro rocket tools, so it was a good...
  9. Spalted maple hollow form w/ void

Spalted maple hollow form w/ void

8” diameter, finished with Danish oil and buffed with brown tripoli compound The spalting in this piece was fairly advanced, which made the wood slightly punky and challenging to turn cleanly. I knew the bark inclusion would be the star, but wanted a separate rim to create a sense of...
  10. Claro walnut hollow form

Claro walnut hollow form

5” x 5” hollow form turned from Claro walnut. Finished with several coats of shellac and buffed with white diamond compound. March 2024.
  11. Spalted Pecan HF

Spalted Pecan HF

I attempted to spalt this chunk of pecan but after peaking inside the bag at 3 months and 6 months I detected nothing but large cracks so I gave up. 3 years later cleaning up my storage area I hauled out the pecan and was about to split it up for firewood when low and behold it had spalted! I...
  12. Apple?

Apple?

...........Not Apple, of course, lol. Walnut, 8x8 inches Could not bring myself to do any more embellishment than this. I thought "Simple, plain, good wood" and let it be.
  13. Navet Noir

Navet Noir

Navet Noir (Black Turnip), 4.5”d x 3.5”h. I started this piece earlier this year for demos. Each “section” showed a different stage of the embellishment process. Friday morning I decided to finish it up to bring to a show that was opening that evening. I’m glad I did because it sold in the...
  14. "Flower Vase" Series #21

"Flower Vase" Series #21

Cottonwood 13.5 inches tall A slightly different band on this one and a few bees to find.
  15. maple hollow form

maple hollow form

I turned this maple hollow for and tried a simple walnut finial.
  16. "Flower Vase" series #20

"Flower Vase" series #20

Cottonwood 12.75 x 6.75 inches #20!!! I am surprised I even made another, they really kick my butt...oof!
  17. Spalted Beech Footed Vessel

Spalted Beech Footed Vessel

I turned this footed vessel from a piece of nicely spalted beech. It is 8.5" tall and 5.5" in diameter. I used a wood burner to create the texture on the banding. I like how the burned texture in the banding accentuates the spalting.
  18. Sweet Memories

Sweet Memories

Sweet Memories Turned from Pear, hollowed, pyrographed, carved, painted, and a touch of gilders paste on top of the carved section. This side shows Japanese women in traditional garb, the opposite side is a Japanese man also in traditional dress, and the other two sides show a Japanese Maple...
  19. Coral Vessel

Coral Vessel

This hollow form vessel was turned with 1/2" wall thickness. It was then carved with a Fordom and Micromotor tools. After the final shape was achieved the surface was burned with pyrography pen followed by India ink and blue gray colors applied with a dry brush technique. The vessel is 6" tall...
  20. kaléidoscope

kaléidoscope

Collaborative piece produced at « grand atelier » organized by Aftab in the Escoulen school. Stained glass inlay by @vitraux_honfleur (Amandine Steck) zinc inlay by @lorinbruckin, manufacturing and crystal inlay by @gonnet.emailleur (Bernard Gonnet) Turning of the walnut shape by...
Back