• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

handles

1. J

Using a gouge blade without handle?

Today I needed to use my small spindle gouge for about a minute. All of my handles had other blades in them. Instead of taking the time to remove a blade from a handle and insert my spindle gouge I just held the gouge blade in my hands. It worked well. Without a handle are there safety...
  2. J

How do interchangeable handles handle tools with tangs?

Today I was looking at Thompson Lathe Tool's metal handles with interchangeable cutting blades (term?). With round holes in the handle a round gouge would fit. What about those with square or rectangular tangs? Are there adaptors? When I mention Thompson above I am not limiting the question...
  3. J

Sizing Ferrules for homemade handles

I would like to turn handles for my tools instead of buying tools with handles. I have just received the Sorby 3/8 spindle gouge and am searching the Internet to find a rule-of-thumb as to what size ferrule I should use. Is there a standard as to tool diameter to ferrule diameter?
Back