• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning a Dovetailed Vase

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Decorative Dovetails are usually found on boxes and flat surfaces. This tutorial provides a method to integrate decorative dovetails with turned objects such as a vase by using compound angle staves. You can make use of your entire shop on this project, including router, table saw and lathe!

Attachments

• dovetail vase process -3.pdf
    964.6 KB · Views: 208

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Thanks John for sharing this. Very nicely done. I have also explored the use of the decorative dovetails with segmented turnings, using various MLCS decorative dovetail templates. Here are a couple of pictures of the finished projects.

Brian Horais
Knoxville, TN

Attachments

• twisted slanted detail  2a 2017.jpg
    twisted slanted detail 2a 2017.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 42
  • A.horais.purpleheart-vase-a.JPG
    A.horais.purpleheart-vase-a.JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 39
Thanks John for sharing this. Very nicely done. I have also explored the use of the decorative dovetails with segmented turnings, using various MLCS decorative dovetail templates. Here are a couple of pictures of the finished projects.

Brian Horais
Knoxville, TN
Brian that is some exceptional use of dovetails.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Thanks to all of you for your great comments. My next challenge is to expand the integration of the decorative dovetails into a twisted (off-axis) design. Stay posted!

Brian Horais
Knoxville, TN

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Brian Are you in the Knoxville club. I don't recognize you from the picture you put up but then I don't have a memory worth a darn anymore. I usually demo for them about once a year and could probably be talked into coming down for a meeting and hanging out with John K Jordan.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
John, Yes - I am a member of the Knoxville club. I'll pass the info on about a potential demo from you to our club board. I'm doing a demo on segmented joinery techniques at our next meeting on Tuesday (the 17th). Let me know your schedule. If you are interested, I'd love to have you stop by my shop and see some of the 'twisted turnings' I have been doing. If you are in Knoxville the weekend of 3 to 5 NOV, I will have four of my turnings at the juried Master Woodworkers Show (www.masterwoodworkers.org) in downtown Knoxville at the Emporium (100 block of Gay Street). My email is bhorais1@comcast.net

Thanks, Brian

P.S. I'm sure John K. would be happy to see you. We had the other John Jordan at our SEP woodturners meeting. It was a very well attended event.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Brian I will see if I can make the meeting. I put the master woodworker show on my schedule. I used to photograph work for a lot of those guys and done a photo demo for their group.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Great. We start 'socializing' around 6pm and the meeting will start at 6:20. I look forward to seeing you there. You probably remember the location, but it's at the Woodcraft store on Kingston Pike in case you forgot.

Brian

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Brian Don't think I'll make the next meeting. Have to meet with some people I did some production turning for at 3. That doesn't leave much time for getting there, that's 4 your time. Say Hi to Drew and John and the others.

Back