• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet 1221 VS Or?

I was just about to post this question when I saw Jamie's "Gloat" thread.

Can anybody else chime in on the question of something else in the Jet size and price range that should be considered instead?

Thanks

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Short answers is no
Jet is solid, 60-3600 rpm, nice spindle lock, index wheel,
best looking of all the machines in this size range, easiest belt change.
$800 but Jet always seems to put it on sale once or twice a year for a $100 off or more.

Other lathes I have turned on in this size range:

Oneway 1224 - definately the class of the field. Terrific machine 0-4K rpm. About $2500
Have done quite few demo on this machine it is a pleasure to turn on.

Nova comet 250-4K rpm an ok machine $550 I have turned some 10" natural edge bowls on this machine with no problems except small cuts... Nova set some up for us at the Tampa airport to use as promo for the AAW symposium.
FoxTIA promo -
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZjqN34Wq0E

Rikon - $650 is more than the comet. the two I have turned in did not seem as well solid as the nova. A local club owns a couple no one fights to turn on them.
I've turned a few small bowls on this on 8-10.

Last edited:

Can anybody else chime in on the question of something else in the Jet size and price range that should be considered instead?

Thanks
Tom,

Are you also in the market for something to supplement your Robust?

For me, the following lathes are on my radar screen (with some personal comments; not listed in preference order):

• Rikon 70-220 VSR (about $550)
  • Nova Comet II ($500 to $600? Some places include a G3 chuck?)
  • Delta 46-460 midi ($550-ish? Our club bought several of these as club lathes a few years ago. They have significant wear-and-tear, so I wonder about durability)
  • Jet 1221VS (about $800)
Paper spec wise, and based on a couple of conversations, the Jet is first on the list.

I do realize I'll need to budget for either a stand or build a stand; a second chuck; and a second sharpening station (but don't need a vari-grind; I always carry my vari-grind with me)

I'm driving to the AAW Symposium in KC, and am looking for a homeless midi lathe to bring home with me.

No, the Robust scout is *NOT* on my radar screen, nor is the Oneway 1224 ($)

Hy

I know what you mean Hy. I am looking for a smaller and more affordable lathe to use at our Wisconsin get-away. Yes, the Robust Scout would be my first choice, but I just can't justify that or the Oneway.

BTW, Amazon has the 1221 for $699 and free shipping.

I know what you mean Hy. I am looking for a smaller and more affordable lathe to use at our Wisconsin get-away. Yes, the Robust Scout would be my first choice, but I just can't justify that or the Oneway.

BTW, Amazon has the 1221 for $699 and free shipping.

If I'd been more clever, the Robust would be in my most-frequently-used garage, except there's no room for it there (nor do I have a spare 220V line--every time my spousal unit turns on the dryer, I'd have to stop turning :eek:)

I'm thinking of adopting a homeless lathe, rather than Amazon, specifically because I suspect it would already be assembled, set-up, and trouble-shot; either in the demo room, or on the trade show floor. I don't mind a professional having "pre-used" the lathe some 20 hours.

Hy

I've turned a number of times on a 1221. Very nice on almost all counts. The only thing I would fault is the diameter of the tool rest post (5/8"); it's ok for relatively short rests, but longer ones (I've used a 12", which was not as solid/steady as I would have liked. I think some of the other midis have 1" posts for the tool rest.

If I'd been more clever, the Robust would be in my most-frequently-used garage, except there's no room for it there (nor do I have a spare 220V line--every time my spousal unit turns on the dryer, I'd have to stop turning :eek:)

I'm thinking of adopting a homeless lathe, rather than Amazon, specifically because I suspect it would already be assembled, set-up, and trouble-shot; either in the demo room, or on the trade show floor. I don't mind a professional having "pre-used" the lathe some 20 hours.

Hy

You're right, you can often get an excellent buy at a trade show.

Thanks
l have the Delta 46-460 and am quite Happy with it, the 12½” swing is large enough for fair size bowls and the 1HP motor does run silently, I know there have been reports of some turners having had problems with the electronic part of the lathe, but the largest majority has no problems, including me.

I hear also that every other low cost and even not so low cost lathes have problems with some of their units electronics, so the Delta is not the only one, getting parts was the problem because of the selling of he Co.

(nor do I have a spare 220V line--every time my spousal unit turns on the dryer, I'd have to stop turning :eek:)
Clothes line between two trees or posts.

Tom, I had the Nova Comet II before I bought the Jet 1221. It is a sweet machine in many ways, and I loved it for spindle turning. Turned a few bowls on it also, but it has nowhere near the mass of the 1221. I think it weighed 75#, I could carry it myself, though not too, too far.:p Turning heavier bowl blanks, especially if they weren't balanced, was quite difficult, sometimes impossible -- with 250 being the lowest speed, it would bog down. I don't know if there are any other "scratch and dent" Jet places in the US, but I got mine as an S&D item at Equipment Sales and Surplus in Auburn, WA, and saved over $200. Just a 90-day guarantee, but they are only a ferry ride away and have a good rep. You won't see the S&D small lathes on their website generally, they sell too quickly to the local people who know to call Frank and ask.:D I don't want to slam the Comet in any way, but the ways are nowhere near as sturdy and tough as the Jet. Still, it's a great little lathe for the cost, especially when Teknatool has a sale and throws in a G3 chuck with it.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
The new JET just arrived, barely got it on a benchtop by myself, degreased it, checked all the operations, and she looks good. Tomorrow the chips will fly.
Tom,
Congratulations!
You will enjoy the jet a lot. A small machine with a big heart.

I like mine :)
A great lathe to take on the road. A hand truck comes in handy.

Al

Congrats! Second garage? Or travel lathe? Jet stand? Other brand stand? Homemade stand?

Good questions:
  • Vacation Home Lathe-- keeps me from doing all the maintenance chores I avoid and gives me an excuse to drive the backroads in Amish country looking for burls at the Amish sawmills.
  • Temporary stand until I either breakdown and buy the Jet stand, or find a plan for a good homemade one.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
That's an interesting idea. Can you lock up the wheels securely enough?

The cart is very heavy duty with wheels that lock so it doesn't move. I Am thinking about getting another one for my sliding compound miter saw, but they're always changing models and raising prices. This is similar to the one that I have.

I use a Harbor Freight hydraulic cart as the "table" for my Jet mini. Having the adjustable height really comes in handy.

I personally don't need adjustable height--but I do like being a few inches shorter than 42" for floor-to-spindle. Mobility (rolling or shoving into the corner, out of the way) is relatively important; I've been toying with the idea (not mine, borrowed idea) of a rolling miter-or-table-saw stand (see for example http://www.cpopowertools.com/dewalt...we74911,default,pd.html#xsell=dewndwe74911--0), or a home-built stand on a HTC mobile tool base, or putting the Jet stand on casters.

Tom, (or Al or Bill or Jamie or whomever), are the lathe's mounting holes threaded holes (where you bolt the lathe to the bench or stand from underneath), or are they thru holes where you can drop a bolt from the top?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Tom, (or Al or Bill or Jamie or whomever), are the lathe's mounting holes threaded holes (where you bolt the lathe to the bench or stand from underneath), or are they thru holes where you can drop a bolt from the top?

Threaded. Bolts go in from the bottom.
I bolted a piece of MDF to mine with bolt heads recessed so the MDF can be clamped to my semi antique leg set froma 1940s delta lathe.
Two cast iron legs with 2" maple shelf and top to hold then together. Has a cut out for the motor pulley that is just right for holding tool rests.

I could clamp it or my hydraulic table but I use that as an auxhillery table for the bandsaw.

Time to do some sand casting with molten metal, remember to leave them outside in the elements
so they get that antique look. :)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Holy Cow! Old cast iron leg sets are really expensive. I just did some searches on Ebay and old lathe leg set go from $250 up past $500.
Didn't buy them new.
About 15 years ago I bought a 12" delta lathe built around 1940 that was missing a tailstock for $80.
( Delta was selling tailstock s for around $250 then)
I kept the stand with the cast iron legs, put the 1 hp motor on used bandsaw I sold.

The lathe I donated to a club auction it brought the club $25. A couple months later the lathe came back to club auction and brought the club $20.
Al

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Tom,

You buy the metal & come pick it up in Columbus, Ohio. I'll weld it together for you for free.

Rich

That's an interesting idea. Can you lock up the wheels securely enough?
Tom, you wrote this in response to Bill's mention of the HF hydraulic table. Those have single-locking casters only on one set of the wheels (2 out of 4 wheels). The stand Jimmie built for my 1221 has double-locking casters on all four corners, and is fine -- that's also the arrangement I had on the Comet lathe stand. I know turners who insist that a lathe stand should never be on casters, kinda silly methinks. ["never" is a ridgid word:p]

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The wheels that swivel can be locked and the non-swiveling wheels don't need be locked from my experience. The cart is really sturdy and heavy and I haven't seen any tendency to move after the swiveling wheels are locked. If this was some flimsy piece of equipment I would agree with your concern. Locking wheels can be bought at HF for just a few bucks if you really want them.

Tom,

You buy the metal & come pick it up in Columbus, Ohio. I'll weld it together for you for free.

Rich

Thanks so much Rich. I did buy the steel material at a local Metal Supermarket https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/chicago-niles/.

I think I got heavier stuff than the Jet stand uses (2X4 hollow tube with 1/4" walls) for legs and the total cost was $91. A local welder put the two legs, the feet, and the tops together for me for $40. I'll use a scrap piece of White Oak that I have for a stretcher between posts and I'll be set.
I will post a couple of pics when the project is done. Again, thanks for the generous offer.

Thanks so much Rich. I did buy the steel material at a local Metal Supermarket https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/chicago-niles/.

I think I got heavier stuff than the Jet stand uses (2X4 hollow tube with 1/4" walls) for legs and the total cost was $91. A local welder put the two legs, the feet, and the tops together for me for $40. I'll use a scrap piece of White Oak that I have for a stretcher between posts and I'll be set.
I will post a couple of pics when the project is done. Again, thanks for the generous offer.

This is an interesting
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMJS-oRKCtY
video for a lathe stand with a grinder station built-in. More effort than I'd want to put into it, though... Too much time building, not enough turning :confused:

Hy

If I had known about this deal, I would have waited: https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/emailsales/jun-7-17.html

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
A number of years ago at SWAT a new Powermatic that was destined to be used in a demo room was dropped while it was being unloaded from the truck. It landed on the headstock. Sad.

The good news is that they decided to sell it for a really low price, less than $1000 IIRC and they also replaced the headstock for free under warranty. Somebody made out like a bandit.

Back