• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Hemlock Stump Bowl
This came from a stump that had sat on a breakwater near town for some years. The red color is unique for hemlock and may be from prolonged exposure to saltwater.
The rough bowl took a year to dry. Lots and lots of fine cuts with a freshly sharpened 3/8" gouge to cut clean enough to begin a lot of sanding.
Bowl measures 10 1/2" X 4 3/4"

Very nice. I only have soft wood around me, but just been turning kiln dried till get good enough with tool slicing to tackle Douglas fir and juniper. You really do nice work. I admire your talents.

@Glenn Lefley Juniper has natural compounds in it that according to wood scientists, it shouldn't even be used for food, so the dust is just horrible to breath. It's up there with some of the crazier tropical hardwoods. Many of the rot resistant woods are in that category.

Media information

Album
Recent bowls
Added by
Zach LaPerriere
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device