• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Ebony& Ivory HF
George Guadiane

Ebony& Ivory HF

The form on this piece is a little less than ideal, but the wood gave me some serious limits.
The ebony was recovered from an old and deteriorating elephant carving, the ivory tusks and toenails were mostly missing.
The ivory collar is a garage sale find, already carved, I just cut a tenon into it so that it would sit flush on the blank.
The foot was turned from a checker sized elephant ivory tusk slab.
diameter: 2 3/4 inches
Height: 2 1/4 inches
OOOO steel wool finish
[b]As Always, Questions, Comments and Critique Welcome[/b]
And I CAN handle the truth!
George, I am finding the blue lights very confusing especially with the bright white dot right in the middle.
Could you give me some insight in the blue lights? I like the overall effect you have achieved with the collar but finding the lights distracting.
I think viewers on this site are afraid of making comments and the reason for me saying this is that there are very few comments made on this site!!!!! Robbie

Robbie,
The blue lights at the wide point are a reflection from the "true daylight" fluorescent bulbs we use for photo work. The third glow on the top is an additional light source that is not TD. The glow on the BOTTOM is the anti-gravity device that I installed and am testing '-) ...
Seriously, the foot on this piece is also ivory and the glow must be a reflection of the TD from the ivory, and it IS weird looking.
About comments, I have some thoughts:
I think there are several reasons that people don't post (I just got into a dust up with another guy on the Forums page, I thought he was out of line - he returned the favor).
1)Some people don't feel qualified to comment beyond "I really like that..."
2) Some people don't feel like the work is worth talking about (not odd/unusual/spectacular enough)
3) Some people won't comment because they have an actual opinion and are afraid that someone will disagree with them or feel badly about them if they voice it.

In the end, there are certainly MANY more reasons why people don't post. I applaud you for taking the time to make the statement. and ask the question. I hope that the answer clears things up.
Thank you, about the collar comment, that is my favorite part of the piece.

George, This is one of those pieces that I crave to hold and foldle. It draws me to it with an unnatural sense of beauty and serenity -- no BS. I wonder if the piece were shot in the natural morning light would the reflection problems go away? Is the very top of the photo the inside of the neck?

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
George Guadiane
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename