• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
"94.8%"
pat miller

"94.8%"

Well- It's almost here. Monday morning will mark the first solar eclipse to cross these parts since 1979. Plenty of hype, festivals, traffic jams so I figure no reason not to jump in the fray..
I turned this double domed 9" diameter birch disc then offset it to turn a recessed edge as a corona. I suspect that plain black would be the more accurate color for moon as it passes in front of Old Sol but I opted to dye the disc black, sand it back a bit and then dye it with some red-orange to give it a more chromic celestial look and finished it with polished lacquer. The stand is cut from maple colored with a satin black lacquer. 5 pieces of music wire attach the disc to the stand. The corona is enhanced with 23 carat gold leaf. The name is the percentage of totality we can expect above the studio....No solar glasses required for viewing....
Thank you for looking!!
Very unique piece Pat. Great art work. I like the use of the music wire to suspend the sun and moon. Well done indeed.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
pat miller
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings

Image metadata

Device